Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hatha yoga reflections

I seem to go to yoga classes about once a month, and do more short bits on my own. I would really love to try Iyengar, which focuses on alignment. I am not a big fan of Vinyasa or Ashtanga; too fast for my taste (though I do do them, every so often). I like yin yoga, and restorative when in the mood to relax, and hatha (technically, all poses are hatha yoga, but the hatha ones seem to be beginning classes without the vinyasa "flow"); anything slow that lets me feel my body and really open things up. I'm not sure if the gym here has Iyengar, and the gym ones are the best deal for me financially.

Other types I know are:
-Bikram--haven't done, no interest
-Kundalini-totally different than everything else. Sometimes I like it, sometimes not. Lots of breathwork, kriyas, interval-style exercise with mini-meditations and chanting.
-Viniyoga--I *think* this is what I tried at a small studio in St. Paul once. Kind of weird but good--can't remember details, though. Or was it Kripalu? There were different, little flowy parts, unlike vinyasa. You would move just one little part back and forth for a bit.
-Tri-yoga--I liked this; more yang than my favorites mentioned, but lots of good work and stretches.
-Forrest yoga--more "power" yoga-ish than I prefer. Ana Forrest is amazing to watch, though. It's like a dance form when she does it, very athletic and beautiful.

I am very sore, so I may do some on my own later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment