Thursday, October 8, 2009

the end of a season

Today I pulled the last of the stakes out of my pepper field. They are still producing! There hasn't been a frost yet, but I'm done with the field. It'll be tilled and seeded with some sort of cover crop. My next field is already seeded with cover crops and I'll have to take some measurements in about two weeks.

Even though I was only there to pull out stakes, I filled two huge bags (like, garbage sized bags) full of red peppers. And I picked a fraction of them (and no green ones--most are green!). It's just an acre, but there are so many. I give them away (in addition to what the food bank takes from our farm) and I'm a hero to everyone. Free organic peppers :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how much you watched Sesame Street, but did you ever hear of Captain Vegetable? he had a theme song:

    It is I, Captain Vegetable
    With my carrot and my celery
    Eating vegetables is good for me
    And they're good for you so eat them too
    They'll keep you strong your whole life long
    ... and I think there was more.

    Sara the superhero!
    -Danger

    ReplyDelete