Monday, November 9, 2009

The nice thing about being a student is that there is this sense that what you're doing doesn't matter, because you are preparing for something else. Once you have a job, there's a feeling of "Oh, this is it." And so if you don't like it, you can think about going back to school. But you are wherever you are. Maybe you'll make more money later, but it might not make you happier. Maybe it won't give you much of a leg up. The psychology of it is pretty interesting, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We keep on talking about places we would live. The pressure is on. I am becoming less interested in moving abroad. I would rather live here and travel, I think. I would have a much easier time finding people interesting people in a US city, people that I connect with. People from other countries are plenty interesting, but I often don't understand them, culturally. And there will be so many interesting prospects for jobs. But I do have to make sure I travel to some great places and keep up my Spanish. That's the nice thing about a diverse city, lots of international communities.

I want to know where I want to look for jobs *soon* so I can start researching and talking to people. But it's so hard to say. I will know when it feels right. I'm not sure if I want to go back to MN yet. Maybe a little later. MN feels like home, like I could live there for years, so maybe I don't want to go back yet.

1 comment:

  1. you are so good at planning. still the only person I know who had a job lined up after undergrad. yes, take some time before going to MN to try other places. living in the U.S. is certainly less complicated, but maybe you could work abroad for a set time - like my stepdad taught for a semester in Italy. perhaps an opportunity will present itself.

    ReplyDelete