Thursday, November 12, 2009

Biking!

Yesterday I found a way to bike to the mall area outside Ithaca, in a little suburb. Once I get up the Cornell hill, I'm able to climb the rest on my bike (though it is still on an incline). I'm exciting because it opens up a whole new mini-world for biking, which I miss so much. It's not far, only 3 miles, but better than the mile or two I'm used to biking across this tiny town. It feels so good to be biking outside, past the golden and red leaves. I need more exercise for my mental health, and it's hard to be motivated in a gym.

I'm learning more about pesticides, why they get used. They do work very well, especially if you don't care about water of wildlife, so obviously I still think they are horrible. The price we pay with them is just too high in the long-term. If in the future, we aren't able to grow enough food without them (a contentious claim), then our population is too high. That doesn't do much good for those who already exist, but we have more than enough food for everyone already. It's just not distributed fairly, and nothing in the pesticide-mindset changes that. It is a short-sighted mindset, to be sure. It is so weird being in a room full of people who think that way. Yesterday at a meeting, they were all exasperated at the EPA regulations, as if none of that mattered. The EU is even crazier to them, passing regulations based on the precautionary principle, affecting all those who sell food to them. Why is the EU so different than us?

No comments:

Post a Comment