Monday, August 31, 2009

The Wisdom of Yoga looks at the Yoga Sutras from a modern, Western perspective. It has examples from the author's personal life, which are an engaging way of looking at them. Right now I am reading about a friend of the author's who was in Overeaters Anonymous. Within her she had the "hungry ghost", a part of her that hungered for more. This literally played out in her behavior with food, and unhealthy restraint with emotions. I'm glad she agreed to let the author tell her story in this book. I keep thinking to myself, what are you trying to feed? I'm not sure, but it's not true hunger.

1 comment:

  1. I first heard of hungry ghosts in Adbusters magazine where they had an illustration of a creature with a small mouth, narrow neck and huge stomach. It this case it was used to describe a person who overconsumes material posessions. I like the idea of it because it can apply to anyone.. it is the insatiable desires within us for things we want, but don't need.

    ReplyDelete