Sunday, August 30, 2009

We had a lot of fun in NYC this weekend, walking around and seeing people we knew. We didn't go anywhere specifically... we thought about it, but had enough to do with walking around. I got three new books--one about yoga, with a transliteration of the Yoga Sutras (I'm waiting for another copy of that in the mail--it finally is very appealing to me, though a few months ago it would have bored me horribly), and two books by Yogananda--one on relationships, and another on being happy (can't remember any of the titles right now).

I also drove a lot, which is still a sore spot for me. My 3-D visual abilities are awful. I look and I don't see, I see and don't know what it means. But all fears must be confronted at some point, and that point is now for me. As I force myself to look and think and look, I feel like I'm waking up some part of the brain that hasn't been in use at all in this life. So, it was a great trip and I'm making myself learn some new things.
-------------------------------------------------
Another great thing about the start of this school year is being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Two more semester of classes, then finish research and thesis. Done! Hopefully some travel (maybe with that research travel grant) before starting a nice job. There is a lot of pressure to get a PhD, and it's very tempting, but I know I made the right decision initially--I don't need that. I could do it, but doing it to prove something or get a fancy title will make me unhappy in the end. Materialism does not work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment