Monday, August 17, 2009

food updates

I finally got some fresh NY melon! All I've had today is fruit and veggies. I wouldn't normally (so restrictive!), but it's so fun to take advantage of fresh fruit while it's in season. Especially melon, which is so bad when it's been shipped. Some was picked from the farm for an event, and there was a lot left over--when else will I have the chance!? So I have a giant melon belly :)

It's also potato season. I don't usually eat them much anymore (though I used to make potato cheese soup ALL the time, and then potato soy-plus-casein-cheese soup before I stopped dairy completely), but they store forever, and they might be nice in a stew.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, non-food stuff that has been going on:
-we might do a wine tour with some friends soon. I don't really want to drink, but it sounds fun to go around the lake and to try all the different varieties. Apparently grape type and environment really affect taste.
-we might go somewhere this weekend--are currently thinking Toronto or NYC.
-Sept 12th there's a free vegetarian conference event in DC that we might go to. Really, it's just an excuse to go. We'll see the museums or buildings, or whatever is fun.
-there's a new thing in Ithaca, a giant community swapmeet group that lets you give away things/services for free, or swap things with others. I went to one and couldn't believe I had missed two previous ones. I gave away a bunch of clothes and got a few things (mostly I was trying to downsize).

No comments:

Post a Comment