Sunday, September 27, 2009

The overachiever

I am realizing where the stereotype of a grad student working a million hours a day, never sleeping. Some advisers do push very hard--but much more common is the type A personality, who puts ridiculous expectations on themselves. It is really amazing to watch. One person wakes up at 3 am, studies, runs, studies, hours later goes to class, studies, studies, studies, and then off to bed at 11 or 12 (midnight). Another goes to the lab on weekends from 5 am to 7 pm, with breaks only or eating.

I know for a fact their advisers don't demand this. It is all internal. I don't consider it totally admirable, though. In yoga classes, they talk about ahimsa (non-violence) applying to yourself just as much, and the importance of not going too far with yourself. If you push too hard, in the end you cause more harm than benefit to yourself.
Luckily, I physically can't sustain this type of schedule -- I would get sick in a week, and I would be grateful for it, because physical sickness is the only respected reason for rest in our society. Mental or emotional health is not considered nearly as much. Thus a slew of therapy and positive psychology programs at my school, to push back against this mentality of achieving at all costs.

I don't mean to be critical of these people. I respect their efforts highly. But I am concerned about the implications. Already I can see effects on their moods, and I feel a lot of compassion. They won't believe that doing less than 1000% is good enough.

1 comment:

  1. Being a workaholic is usually admired and respected. But I see that in most cases it is unhealthy and merely a way of distracting the mind (albeit a socially acceptable way). On the other hand, dedication to an artform or skill can be a type of meditation in my opinion. So maybe its similar. I guess it all depends on the person's motivation for the behavior.. are they doing it because it brings them peace or because they are driven by anxiety?

    ReplyDelete