Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fall!

I have been so busy bemoaning the fact that another long, gloomy Ithaca winter is coming (MN is colder but much sunnier!) that I almost forgot how much I love fall.

The evidence:

Annual % avg possible sunshine, by city
New York City, Central Park, NY: 58%
Minneapolis-St.Paul, MN: 58%
Syracuse (an hour away): 46%
Seattle, WA: 47%
Portland, OR: 48%

So the northeast gets more sun than us here!

Okay, done with complaining. Best things about fall, here or anywhere else in the north:
-changing leaves!
-crispness in the air
-perfect running weather--sunny, warm mid-day but cool morning and night
-apple picking, fresh apples, and all the spices that go with apple-flavored treats (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc)
-winter squash
-all the holidays coming up (which I'm not really into, except for my b-day in Nov, but I might as well celebrate it all)
-for those in school, we're still fresh and excited to learn, and not quite jaded yet ;)

Some interesting articles:
Primitive cultures are simple, civilization is complex (a falsehood)
What's wrong with eco-stunts

1 comment:

  1. Fall is really amazing (for all the reasons you said). And I agree that I also spend some much time worrying about the onset of winter, that I haven't ever fully appreciated this time of year.

    ReplyDelete