Sunday, February 14, 2010

I'm in a study on ovary function, and one benefit of being in the study is that I get some information about myself. I got a DEXA scan yesterday, which is not normally done on a young person at all (very pricey), but gives very accurate information on bone density and body fat and lean body mass percentage. The funny thing about the results were, thy were exactly what I expected.

My body density is low--meaning, I should do things to increase it (consistent Ca and vit D supplementation and weight-bearing exercise) or I will most likely get osteoporosis (I have to say I never really believed the claims that a healthy diet is good enough--you can eat healthy, but if you are deficient in something, you will have issues). My body fat was not amazing but good (25.8%), considering that I have been too stressed to take optimal care of myself I am pretty pleased. My arms have the highest body fat percentage (30%) and apparently it's common (not healthy but common) for women to have parts over 50% fat. It was very interesting. I will also have a test of glucose tolerance soon, which I hope will be good. But this confirms for me (getting results I expected) that our bodies tell us what we need to know if we listen, combined with some common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment