Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Being in school is like putting your life on hold. I think that's often the appeal--you feel like whatever you're doing is for the future, and if you don't like it, it's fine because it's not really what you're doing. It's fantasy-based. And at my school, it's so inaccessible to people with diverse backgrounds and situations, that it's even more of a bubble. I suppose at some point, I'll find this experience to be interesting, or useful or something. For now, it's just a strangely insulated place where I am learning some things and don't really feel comfortable.

When I went to NYC this past weekend, it was very obvious why I feel so uncomfortable here. The town is okay, but the school is very conservative and most people fit a specific mold. Hanging out with friends in NYC, I fit in perfectly, in my own way. People thought I was interesting however I was. I didn't have to stretch to find ways to connect.

Luckily, there are some good people here I'd like to see when I go. But I will probably invite them to come to my place, rather than come back here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment