Friday, April 23, 2010

reading reading

I'm looking for new books to investigate through Amazon. The reviews that are 4 or 3 stars are usually the best--they will honestly point out flaws without being married to ideology, like many (not all!) of the 1 or 5 star reviews. I'm going through the Paleo books--like raw vegan but with meat instead of so much fruit and veggies, and some of them do cook. So interesting how similar they are; now I can clearly see why people distrust all ideologies. People just take what fits and ignore what doesn't. (note: many of them tried a strict vegan or raw vegan diet. So there are more similarities than not).

Partly it's fascinating to me because it's so different from what I like--instinctively, I think it's better to avoid eating animals, but the Paleo meals sounds so disgusting to me! I really never liked animal fat, and it wasn't because my parents discouraged it at all (they didn't). It's so interesting that some people have completely different preferences from me. It's a little easier to stomach reading about than the typical SAD food eater, because at least the Paleo people are minorly concerned about animal welfare. Anyway, I do like raw vegan food (just not the restrictiveness) and I am not going "Paleo" at all, but I like to read about experiences totally different from my own. (FYI--my favorite kind of meat, right before going vegetarian, was dry, white chicken. It seemed more like paper than an animal. This is not what the Paleo eater recommend eating. They are 180 from me).

Who can be so strict forever? I like hanging out with vegan-friendly people (vegan-friendly enough to share a vegan meal with me, but do whatever they feel is right for them), and leaving it at that. Whatever else they do, as long as they are nice enough and trying their best, is fine. I want to keep mellowing out as I age ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment